Source: YouTube channel of Dan Cathy
Being a Cass MBA which he earned in mid-70s, he joined The Coca-Cola Company in Turkey in 1978 through a recruitment advert in newspaper. Fascinated by distribution, marketing and logistics systems of Coca-Cola, he chose to tour cross country by Coca-Cola supply trucks. So starts his journey as a ‘Coca-Cola’ employee.
- 1985-1988 General Manager of Coca-Cola Turkey and Central Asia
- 1988-1995 President of Coca-Cola East Central Europe, covered 23 countries
- 1995-1999 Managing Director of Coca-Cola Amatil (bottler)
- 1999 Left Coca-Cola after 20 years of service without a break and joined Efes Beverage, largest local shareholder of Coca-Cola franchise in Turkey, as Chief Executive
- 2005-2006 Joined Coca-Cola as Chief Operating officer and President responsible for North Asia, Eurasia and Middle East, serving under CEO Edward Isdell
- 2006-2008 Promoted to newly created post President of International Operations
- 2008-2009 Chief Executive Officer of The Coca-Cola Company
- 2009 (incumbent) Chairman of the board of The Coca-Cola Company in addition to the position of CEO
He is Muhtar Kent.
Often, the words from where you take the most, consciously or unconsciously, are the simplest, so are what Muhtar Kent said when asked to describe the brand of Coca-Cola.
To me, personally, a man, who rose through ranks to become the CEO of an organization like The Coca-Cola Company starting by touring cross country by supply trucks, is amazing.
But what Dan Cathy began the interview with saying he is the most fascinated by, which he also uses to somewhat label the unique management style of Muhtar Kent, is ‘exposure’; the way Muhtar Kent involves himself by extensively touring Coca-Cola operations across the globe.
Perhaps Dan Cathy’s focus was on the globally central role of Muhtar Kent, where he brings the ‘exposure’ word from Kent’s extensive international tours. But if you look at the timeline, you can see where it comes from. Indeed it was his view toward himself as a manager from the very beginning of his career.